Monday, January 10, 2005

Major Richard D. Winters

When asked by his grand child if he was a hero in the war (World War II), this man replied,"No, but I was fortunate enough to serve with some during the war." Momentous, simply momentous and the reason being that rarely does a man truly humble himself and openly admit that there are individuals present who, for lack of a better word, are more of man than he is. Not to say that he is inferior, or that by simply serving and/or dying for a cause denote the entrance into manhood. It is my appreciation for his ability to admit such a thing. I am in awe, because too often today we fall in love with ourselves to some degree or at least place our actions, or intentions on a pedestal. Humility is such a wonderful trait. I think of it as such because at certain points in our life it can be an excellent learning tool. I'd like to think of myself as being surrounded by these types of individuals, and as a matter of fact I am. I am encircled by men (women too) who are all an inspiration to me. Their actions are daily doses of humility which inspire me to become a better individual. I cannot comprehend the positive influences they have had in my life, only to say that I would be half the man I am today if they were not present. These individuals give me something to strive for, something more so that maybe one day I could be a positive note in someone else's life. I wonder sometimes how to repay such friendship, such brotherhood. I can only provide them with undying loyalty, which I hope will suffice. I am not sure if they realize their importance to me, I just hope they know who to call when they are in need of help. I cannot fail them, because through their actions they have entrusted me with so much.

1 Comments:

At October 11, 2005 at 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am afraid that it was not Major Winters that made the comment you open with but another in his platoon, RANNY, I believe was his surname.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home