Thursday, January 20, 2005

No Greater Love

Carl,

You were born on October 21, 1977. While your life lasted less than 48 hours, no other individual has affected my life more than you. We never met each other and only one picture exists of your brief journey. But you were beautiful while you were here. It is hard for me at times to comprehend the weight you took upon your shoulders. In the few hours you had you made the hardest decision I could ever imagine. What you lacked in life experience you made up for with brute strength and courage. While gasping for air through the mask supplying oxygen to you, I wonder what you were thinking. Any number of doctors today could tell me that you were too weak, too feeble to survive. I know however, for a fact, that for the time you were alive you were the bravest and strongest person in the world. Physical strength didn't matter, your strength lie in knowledge and foresight. How else could you have done what you did. How did you know? How did you know that only one of us was going to make it. I wish I could go back in time to the point when you decided to leave this tremendous planet. I swear, you must have had a smile on your face. Somehow you knew that I would become someone you couldn't have been. You must have said to yourself, "I'll just step aside, the kid behind me has me beat." I wish it could have been different. There have been times when I could have used an older brother, but then again I know you're always with me. I never knew you but I know you loved me. You gave me the only thing you ever had, life. Thanks, thanks for sacrificing everything you had for me. Thanks for being my brother. You're an inspiration to me. You're my hero.

I'll try to make you proud.

Erik

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home