Thursday, February 10, 2005

Perfect Courage, Imperfect Faith

A potential title to a book I might one day write, given the time and substance (good stories to relate) I may have in upcoming years. I haven't decided quite yet. One thing I have decided on is that I require one thing in life to keep me motivated, alert, and ambitious. Conflict, some sort of opposition if you will. While this might not seem clear initially it might make sense by the end of my message so bear with me. Being opposed, by elements, people or places puts many people in situations where they might be uncomfortable, unable to function properly as a result of being thrown out of their "comfort zones." A loss of control, it could be sudden, gradual, or even blind side the most confident of individuals. But for me, this is what I crave to happen sometimes. A battle to be desired. The cliche of the undiscovered country, rather a dilemma which we have to face sooner or later. While some resort to denial, I feel this is the easy way out to many of life's difficult times. Why do we regress sometimes. Because we feel we can't take it. In retrospect I don't think I will be able to make it through life without some opposing force preventing me or at least providing me with a constant nuisance for the rest of my life. Achieving past these annoyances, troubles or hard times is an accomplishment to be cherished . Complacency is just so boring, we sulk into apathy and eventually depression. Been there, done that. Wasn't that what high school was for? Well at least for me, others may have a different perspective and/or experiences. A life in the trenches which tests our will, our determination, the graveyard shift janitor, the double shift waitress, the single working mother of 3, the full time paramedic part time student, the fireman who works two jobs to get by rushing into the burning highrise for the third time, the 19 year old soldier on his second tour of duty. Opposition, a world full of it, full of instances where we either prove what we are made of, or bow out to the next contender or opponent. No thanks, I need something to fight for, something to protect, this is what I need.

1 Comments:

At March 2, 2005 at 3:04 PM, Blogger Erik said...

I totally agree with you Dave. You'll have to tell me more about this Riley character some time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home