Friday, February 18, 2005

Promises, Promises, Promises

I've made many promises in my life. Promises to people who may or may not know I've made certain commitments which involve them. Not that it matters if they ever find out or realize the commitments I've made for them. I've made promises to people who are no longer living, complete strangers, friends and family members. These pledges are a means by which I maintain my connection with them in some sense. It is a way that I keep my desire to pursue paths through which I can show them how I care. I may never honor or reveal certain commitments because I will never be able fulfill some of them. There are some I hope to never fulfill. While I could explain this to a much greater extent, I won't. What I will do is explain the problems that arise from making such promises. It lies with the realization of those around me. The failure of certain people who don't understand my actions, they can't comprehend why I do things, and that my actions carry with them no return address. There is no exchange or barter system in place for the things that I do. I don't require excessive glorification for acts I may have performed just a simple acknowledgement will suffice. To simplify matters I can explain it through my enlistment with the Reserves. What is the purpose or the Reserves who are in place, the minutemen if you will. Their sole purpose is to answer the call of the olifant (The Song of Roland) to be there when no one else can. Not because they have to, but because they want to, they have made a commitment to care for the person standing next to them. People need to understand that at anytime, anyplace or anywhere just look around and realize that I'm already there, waiting for them.

2 Comments:

At March 1, 2005 at 4:33 PM, Blogger Queenie said...

Just follow your gut.
It does not matter what others think.
It is what you think of yourself.

Q

 
At March 2, 2005 at 3:07 PM, Blogger Erik said...

Glad to hear from you Q, your are right. My actions should not depend upon the thoughts or impressions of others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home