Sunday, April 17, 2005

Either Way

Funny thing happens when you can't stop listening to a song on repeat. For some reason I've been completely captivated by this song, "Either Way" by Guster. Doesn't seem to make any sense, simply put this song has captivated me. No matter how long I listen to it on repeat it doesn't seem to get on my nerves or grow tiresome. I don't think it has any specific meaning in my life, no memory or emotion which binds me to it. The melody/harmony of the track isn't by any means incredible, in fact it's average at best, but yet it continues to entrance me. I think the reason for this is in its simplicity. A simple song to provide a pause, a break in the day, something I can use to escape the recent turmoil I have experienced. But besides everything else, it puts a smile on my face. Listening to it for the 324th time I smile and think, "have I lost my damned mind, why am I still listening to this song?" A welcome lighthearted mood that now provides me the ability to reflect upon so many things. While everything I cannot explain, I have reached certains conclusions.

Sometimes the mind's ambition can exceed the heart's capability to endure the trials and tribulations which are present upon the path chosen. While it is all too true that one should guard their heart, for it is the wellspring of life. At times, leaving it unprotected exposes it to the calamity of the world which makes life so long. Allowing your heart to be subjected to such devices can be destructive, better yet it can be devastating, at least in regard to the person who you've tried to become thus far.

3 Comments:

At April 18, 2005 at 9:55 AM, Blogger Mary said...

your best blog yet, erik.

i'm trying to hear "either way" in my head right now, but i've been listening to nick drake and nicolai dunger this morning - an n.d. initial required morning, i suppose - so i can't concentrate my mind to conjure up your song of the weekend.

and on another note, guarding your heart is one of the hardest things in the world. i think we're designed to share our hearts, our lives, but this brokeness on earth forces us to be prayerfully cautious. it will be easier someday, i'm pretty sure.

 
At April 25, 2005 at 3:06 PM, Blogger Erik said...

Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't listen to "either way," not that it's a bad song it just won't seem like a song that would cause most people to reflect on certain aspects of their lives.

Long ago situations in my life forced me to stop listening to my heart, letting my mind perform all the crucial decision making. Evenutally the neglect of so many years wears on you and the twist ties and duct tape give way. I agree with you on the purpose of our hearts, I'm just now finding that I can't ignore mine forever.

 
At April 25, 2005 at 3:07 PM, Blogger Erik said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home